Sunday, May 9, 2010

Collaroy Beach

Another stunning sunny day in Sydney, so at 2pm I decided it might be nice to go for a long walk in the sand and to feel the surf spray on my face!

I googled 'longest beach in Sydney' - Collaroy was my destination. Collaroy beach is one of Sydney's northern beaches. It is approximately 45min drive from Lavender Bay (taking into account busy Sunday afternoon traffic and a stop for the Split Bridge to open/close).

Collaroy’s surf beach joins Narrabeen Beach making one continuous 3.4km surf beach. It also has a beach-side surf pool which looked great. Beaches are closed now from a lifesaving perspective, but you can still walk along them/swim at your own risk. Collaroy reminded me of a classic Australian South Coast beach rather than a city beach. It was rather rough today, and although the water was so warm I don't think I would have braved the waves alone (I didn't take my swimmers so I could only paddle up to my knees anyway).

I am a real beach girl - I absolutely love the beach and the feel of sand and sun and surf spray- and I've been keen to find some proper beaches here in Sydney. Collaroy is a real proper beach. I'll be back! My only complaints related to having to pay so much for parking and the traffic coming back along Spit Rd and Military Rd - but then that is the same complaint I have about all Sydney beaches (if you've got tips for dealing with parking at beaches, please email them through!). And I might wait until the lifesavers are back before I get in properly.

If the weather is nice next weekend, I'll go to Freshwater (where my little godsister Lucy is a volunteer lifesaver!).
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment